Monday, October 19, 2009

Tunnel of Fudge Bundt Cake

      •  Decadent



Isn't it ironic?  Last night my husband was reading a new book I bought, "Bottom Line's Healthy Heart, The Breakthrough Program to Prevent, Halt and Even Reverse Heart Disease", and after only one chapter requested I make a chocolate cake!  Reading all the things he needed to cut from his diet made him crave chocolate sweets.  I am always up for cooking so I searched my recipe's and decided to make as old favorite I hadn't made in years. 

Why did I stop making a fovorite recipe?  Well I couldn't find the ingredients.  Betty Crocker used to make a powered chocolate fudge icing mix and then stopped!  The icing mix was a key ingredient and I could not find it.  On the internet, Betty Crocker admitted they stopped making the icing mix and many people had requested it, so they came up with a substitute recipe for The Tunnel of Fudge Cake.  It was a flop!  I just wrote off the cake, but kept looking for powdered icing mix as I went on with life and baking.  Recently, I moved to San Antonio and the closest organic store to me is Sun Harvest and they carry a chocolate powdered icing mix made by Cherrybrook Kitchen.  Ironic isn't it?  About the time you give up on something you loved, it comes right back into your life.  So the moral of this story is:  Be happy, be healthy, never give up and eat more chocolate!


Tunnel of Fudge Bundt Cake

1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (3 sticks) room temperature

6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups flour (not sifted)
1 cup sugar
1 package Cherrybrook Kitchen chocolate frosting mix
1 teaspoon vanilla
 1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy approximately 2 min. with stand mixer. mix in sugar and frosting mix and beat about 1 minute, add flour and mix well as slow speed until flour is not visable.  Bake at 350 degree oven for 1 hour in a greased and floured bundt pan.  Cool 2 hours on rack in pan, flip onto serving dish and ice with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting 

1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
2 tablespoon heavy wipping cream
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups confectioners sugar
2 squares (o ounce each) unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled

In a small bowl with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, milk and vanilla until smooth.  Add confectioners' sugar and continue beating until frosting is smooth.  Add melted chocolate; mix well.  If necessary, add a little more cream until frosting is of spreading consistency.  Frost cooled cake.