Friday, August 21, 2009

Chili with Tomatoes and Black Beans


Don and I love chili. I have almost as many different recipes for chili as I do shoes (and that is a lot)!

My music choice for this dish is "Delbert McClinton", a little blues, a little soul and a whole lot of dancing going on.





This chili is:
  1. Healthy (high protein/low carbrohydate),
  2. Quick-n-Easy (I can cook and serve in 45 minutes)
  3. Comfort food (Don and I both grew up eating chili
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 pound ground lean beef
  • 1 quart broth
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 3 cloves garlic minced or through press
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can Ro Tel tomatoes original flavor
  • sea salt (to taste)
  • fresh ground pepper (to taste)
  • 2 packages Williamson Chili Mix (must be this brand)
Brown the meat in a large pot, add 1/2 cup broth and put a lid on it, stir frequently if the meat is very lean, you may have to add a little oil, but I prefer to add more broth.
Once the meat is brown, do not overcook, add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for one hour, or less if you are hungry. My husband ate this chili with saltine crackers. I ate it with a dab of sour cream and some chopped cilantro.